One of the benefits of the GoldMine PLUS for Microsoft Excel is the ability to “push” data into GoldMine directly from Excel. Though the data import gurus will find it a bit too rudimentary, and it does not allow for things such as matching to existing data, for simple contract record import’s it works fairly well. It also allows you to import to any Contact1 or Contact2 (user-defined) field, as well as E-mail Address and Web Site Address.
Note: For security and data integrity purposes, only users with MASTER rights can import data into GoldMine.
Before you begin however, make sure you have a current backup of your GoldMine database!
As another suggestion, if your data doesn’t already have one, consider adding a column called Source and add a unique value all the way down, such as Import 11/8/16. Not only will this help you search for all these records later, it will allow you to “back out” the records if something goes wrong, or you’re not happy with the results of the import.
Define the Range
The first requirement is to Define and Name the Range.
- Open your data file in Excel.
- Select all the data you would like to import.
- If using Excel 2016, select the Formulas tab in the toolbar.
- Click the Define Name button in the Defined Names.
- When the New Name window appears, enter a descriptive name for the range.
- Click OK.
- Save your changes.
Begin the Export
But wait, aren’t we importing into GoldMine? Technically yes, but from Excel’s perspective, you are exporting data from Excel. A bit confusing, I know, but hopefully this won’t even slow you down.
- Click on the GoldMine tab.
- Click on the Export from Excel to GoldMine button.
- Click the Next button on the Welcome screen.
- Map the Excel Fields to the GoldMine Fields.
- When you have mapped all of the fields, click the Next.
- Click Finish.
Note: If importing E-Mail Addresses, GoldMine may display a Duplicate E-Mail Address Warning message, if that address already exists. GoldMine will then prompt you to either move the address, or leave it on the original record.
That’s all there is to it!
Enjoy and Happy GoldMining!!